Copyright © 2000-2017 Island Ireland Marketplace. All Rights Reserved.
DescriptionCast by hand in the Wild Goose Studio, Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland. This Bantry Boat wall plaque with Celtic knotwork has an outer shell of pure bronze with an inner core of cast resin material for stability. Each Wild Goose piece is made entirely by hand, with no two being exactly alike.
Since ancient times, bronze has been a highly prized metal for the making of tools, jewelry and statues. It is an alloy of copper, which was first mined in Ireland over 4000 years ago. Left to weather, it will acquire a green patina; polished it will shine like gold.
The original version of this amazingly accurate depiction of Irish oarsmen dates from the early Christian period... a curragh, or skin-covered boat, is manned by a helmsman urging on four oarsmen as they strike heavenwards amidst a sea of crosses. It may celebrate St. Brendan, who in the 6th century, with his crew of four, discovered America some 1000 years before Columbus... The original boat carving is on the vertical staff of the Kilnaruane pillar, standing in a field above Bantry Bay in County Cork.
The boat is bordered above and below by bands of Celtic knotwork. The flowing continuous lines of Celtic knotwork symbolize the continuity of life, the interconnectedness of all things, and the ongoing spiritual journey.
Approximately 5.25 inches wide, 5.25 inches tall, and 5/8 of an inch thick at the point of greatest depth. Historical information is printed on the back of the piece.
To see a larger view, please click on the image.